Saturday, May 1st
Grab a handful of those stylish Green Up bags and help us take out the trash! Green Up Vermont‘s annual spring ritual brings thousands of Vermonters together to clear their communities of litter. Last year alone 421 tons of debris were removed across the state because everyone knows a tidy neighborhood is good for health, environment, business, and property value.
Swing by one of our 3 primary areas to pick up your bags, and check out our Old East End list of litter problem spots. Tackle any of the areas on your own, or join forces with our coordinators. However you choose to pitch in, we look forward to seeing you out and about in the Old East End!
Rain Dates: Sunday, May 2nd or Saturday, May 8th
How It Works
- Pick up free Green-Up bags at Schmanska Park, Greenmount Cemetery, or the Little Free Library at 166 East Avenue – available all day / until we run out, beginning at 8am
- You can also visit Burlington Parks Recreation and Waterfront for additional bag pick up locations throughout the city
- Take your bags and do your thing, or work with our fabulous and friendly coordinators from 8-10am
- Tie your litter-stuffed bags closed and leave them along the closest major street for pick up – Colchester Avenue, East Avenue, Riverside Avenue, Barrett Street, Chase Street, or Grove Street
Note: Personal bags, household trash, bulk items, recyclables will not be collected
- Wear bright, visible clothing, long pants, boots, and work gloves
- Practice appropriate social distancing and wear a mask
- Work facing oncoming traffic
- If you come across any hazardous items, leave them alone. Alert the city using the See Click Fix website or mobile app
- Check yourself for ticks at the end of the day
63 Grove Street – parking lot / crosswalk
Dave Cawley has bags for everyone and is coordinating efforts around the park
Schmanska areas of focus include:
- Schmanska Park
- Parking Lot
- Grove Street
- Calarco Court
- Colchester Court
East Avenue Corridor
166 East Avenue – Little Free Library
Cindy Cook has bags for everyone and is coordinating efforts along East Avenue
East Avenue areas of focus include:
- East Avenue
- UVM bank, paths
- East Village Drive
- Bilodeau Court
- Case Parkway
- University Road
339 Colchester Ave – main gate
Jason Stuffle has bags for everyone and is coordinating efforts around the cemetery
Greenmount areas of focus include:
- Upper Colchester
- Nash Place
- Thibault Parkway
- Latham Court
Additional Litter Problem Spots
After grabbing your free Green-Up bags, you might want to check out these areas. They could use a little litter-picking love.
Grove Street Corridor Barrett Street to Burlington City Limits
Lower Colchester Triangle Lower Colchester Avenue, Chase Street, Barrett Street, Chase Lane, Rumsey Lane
Chace Mill and the River Winooski bridge, river bank, Mill Street, Chace Mill
Salmon Hole parking lot, trail head, Riverside Avenue to Winooski bridge
Anywhere else you notice a pile of litter!
Interested in joining our ongoing efforts to build community in the Old East End? Subscribe here for the latest news and volunteer opportunities
See something, say something
While you’re out collecting litter, you may notice other opportunities for neighborhood improvement. Report them through the See Click Fix website or mobile app.
Keep an eye out
Broken or Missing Infrastructure – traffic signals, pedestrian buttons, bus stops, street drains, fire hydrants, utility boxes, overflowing trash cans, park equipment, bike racks, unclear signage, etc.
Road or Bike Lane Hazards – faded crosswalks or lane lines, potholes, broken or missing curbs, illegal parking, needs sweeping, etc.
Sidewalk Hazards – broken or uneven pavement, etc.
Vegetation Hazards – overgrown power or utility lines, dead trees, encroaching on walkways, bike lanes, roads, or signage, etc.
Unwelcome Additions – graffiti, illegal dumping, etc.
For More Information
- Green Up Vermont
- Green Up Vermont App – Android – Join team Old East End Neighbors
- Green Up Vermont App – Apple – Join team Old East End Neighbors
- Burlington Parks Recreation and Waterfront
- See Click Fix Burlington
- See Click Fix App – Android
- See Click Fix App – Apple