Everybody loved last year’s lanterns so much that we are bringing back this beloved community craft project for Winterlude 2022! Help us light up Schmanska Park!
Free supplies at the barn
If you want to make a lantern or two, pick up free supplies right now at the Schmanska Park barn on Grove Street. Look for the red craft cooler next to the front door.
Here’s how it works
- Grab a specially prepared vellum lantern template from the red craft cooler at the barn
- Take it home and create a design using markers, crayons, paint, stickers, etc., leaving the vellum clear where you want the brightest light to shine through.
- Once the design is finished, return it to the red craft cooler at the barn no later than Wednesday, February 2. We’ll turn it into a beautiful lantern! If you can’t make it back to the Schmanska barn in time, call us at 802-660-8501 to make arrangements.
- If you want to build your own lantern, let us know and we’ll provide the dowel, light and wire. Here are the assembly instructions:
- Overlap the side margins as indicated on the template and staple them together to form a cylinder
- Use fishing line or floss to suspend the light from the center dowel hole
- Insert the dowel into the holes along the top of the template, making sure the light hangs down inside the cylinder
- Bend the wire to form a handle and insert the wire into the holes at each end of the dowel.
- Once you’re happy with the handle, wrap the excess wire around the dowel.
- Return your assembled lantern to the red craft cooler at the barn no later than Thursday, February 3. If you can’t make it back to the Schmanska barn in time, call us at 802-660-8501 to make arrangements.
- Mark February 4 – 6 on your calendar as a reminder to visit Schmanska Park to enjoy the lantern exhibition and other special Winterlude events!